Friday, September 16, 2022

Mount Bourgeau/Harvey Pass

Distance: 21km
Elevation: 1130m
Time: 5hrs
Bourgeau Lake below the summit of Mt. Bourgeau
The hike to Harvey Pass starts in Banff National Park from the Bourgeau Trailhead (just west of the Sunshine Road). It is a grind up through the forest for the first 7.5km with minimal views, but once you reach the treeline at Bourgeau Lake you are rewarded with stunning panoramas and alpine lakes. The hike to Bourgeau on its own isn't be worth the effort, but once you start gaining elevation towards Harvey Pass, the views are spectacular.
Looking over the Bow Valley to Mt. Cory
I left Calgary late and didn't end up leaving the trailhead until 11:30. It was a gloomy day and I was worried it may rain. Since this was a last minute plan, I was hiking solo and was prepared to turn around if the weather decided to change.
First glimpses of Mt. Bourgeau
The trail climbs up through a dense forest, steadily gaining elevation up switchbacks, then contouring the NW flank of Mt. Bourgeau.
Fall colours
I had the trail to myself until I reached Bourgeau Lake. From here, the trail climbs a steep, rocky pitch to gain a cirque where there were two small lakes. From the cirque, the views opened up dramatically into the Mt. Brett amphitheater and down towards the Bow Valley.
The second lake
Looking back to the third lake below Mt. Brett
Following the well defined trail, I was able to reach Harvey Pass in 2 hours from the car.
The trail to Harvey Pass
Final lake at the top of Harvey Pass
Looking south to Sunshine Village from Harvey Pass
From Harvey Pass you can see to the Sunshine Village Ski Area and into Healy Pass, an area that I have ski toured in the past. The larches were just starting to change for the season and the sun poked out to illuminate the distant peaks. Now I had a decision to make. The summit of Mt. Bourgeau was covered in clouds but I wanted to get some better views. Taking the left fork of the trail towards Mt. Bourgeau and gaining 100m of elevation was worth the extra effort.
Summit trail
Looking back down the valley at Mt. Brett
Moving up the ridge, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped. Hikers returning from the summit looked really cold and they had been in a cloud with no views. I was nearing my turn-around time and although the summit looked close, I knew it was deceiving (and still 400m above me). I decided to head back down, satisfied with my effort. 
High point for today
Of course, as I started descending, the clouds started to break and the summit was bathed in sunshine. It made for amazing scenery as I made my way back down to the parking lot.
South facing slopes of Harvey Pass
Some nicer weather on the way back down
Beautiful alpine day

No comments:

Post a Comment